Documenting History- Independent visit week

After our visit to the Bishopsgate archive I began thinking about the history of London and how by walking around different neighborhoods we can still notice many of traces of the past by strolling around the city and seeing how these streets hide history beneath the technological facade it is now a days, with skyscrapers and luxurious flats taking most of the space and regular developments surfacing in many of these places which has made it harder to find.

For My independent Visit week I decided to research and experience some the leftovers of London’s history, has an urban explorer London gives me the needed attraction to find out how the city runs from the bottom up, I believe that history has to be experienced when possible before it gets abolished , we have to take advantage of our abilities of exploration and let imagination and curiosity run free.

Redevelopments make de city change and adapt but in London these happen abruplty and with its rapid growth many of historically important places became easily forgotten and taken down, even listed infrastructure are being developed, they can’t destroy them down but they can change and adapt the surroundings and build in these areas, for example the iconic battersea power station once featured in a album cover for the 1977 album “Animals” by Pink Floyd, was not in use for many years and disputes started many proposals for its regeneration were presented including artists studio, exibithion spaces and still is gonna be turned into luxurious housing and a 5 star hotel to the most fortunate.

Development is about change and regeneration of spaces, is about living improvements for the good of the city and the people that it inhabits, but it seems that in London this developments have a different strategy and money and greed play the biggest part, the working class that does not have enough for extreme luxurious living see this developments as the end of their tenancy in London and in years will be impossible to afford housing here, all of these aspects of London’s developments are creating a elitist city with no space for us creatives for the working class, with a city with so good opportunities that now a days it seems they don’t want to give us anymore.

So to experience the hidden history of London and its new elitist developments I decided to go to chelsea to Lots Road Power Station,build in 1902 to supply power the London underground  and started to be redeveloped in early 2006, with plans to build a shopping mall type out of the original site with surrounding flats on the riverside with a starting point of 1.7million pounds per flat.

This with the same objective of the bishops archives to document and keep history alive through collection not only on a personal level by experience also with the intent of keeping a record by taking pictures of the original site.

img_1580 img_1601 img_1662 img_1607 img_1663